samedi 14 juin 2014

45 Things I am going to miss about Malaysia



Hi guys!

Since I'm flying back to Canada in now less than 30 days and my mind is getting crazy at the thought of leaving this new home that is Malaysia, I decided to write a list of the things I'm going to miss about this country when I get back. There's so many insignificant daily things that took me some time to notice and appreciate that now feel so right to be that it will lack to my future life. 

The reason why I'm writing this in English rather than in french is mainly because this list will mostly be understood by people who have lived in Malaysia before, so it would be pointless to post it in French. Furthermore, this article being not so elaborated and sophisticated, I think I can handle it in my second language. Hopefully, a few readers might recognize themselves in some of my statements. 

To make it a bit less boring, I inserted an image for every thing listed. There are some photos coming from my personal albums, a few handmade or stolen memes (Because I'm such a funny person. Ha. Ha. Ha.) and a couple of pictures taken on different networks.

So here we go!


I am going to miss...

  1. Watching badminton on TV. Observing Liew Daren coming back after a hard first set in fifth match of Thomas Cup's final and gaining some faith that perhaps we'll get holiday tomorrow, or watching Lee Chong Wei giving up in third set of final against his main rival Lin Dan because of a painful cramp and knowing that the whole country is fixed to their screen, sharing the same anxious feeling.
  2. Raising the hand in front of the cars to make them stop and create a way to cross the busy streets in Kuala Lumpur. 
  3. Relishing the facial expression of strangers in shops when I start to address them in Malay.
  4. Using three different languages everyday in a natural way.
  5. Seeing hundreds of women wearing hijab everyday and feeling that everything is fine.
  6. Not having eating time and just eat whenever you feel the want to do so... And as many times you wish.
  7. Hearing the Muslim prayer call a few times a day, who makes stop any program on TV.
  8. Seeing flags everywhere. 
  9. Having second round (foodly-speaking).
  10. Not worrying and just wearing flipper for any occasion.
  11. Eating with the hand and everybody around is fine with it. It seriously tastes better that way. 
  12. Bargaining prices and winning! 
  13. Hanging out in huge shopping malls. Having lot of choices of shops but ending up only buying food and drinks anyway... Because what's more important than food?
  14. The low life cost. Going to cinema for 3$, getting a complete lunch for 2$, taking bus for 15¢, getting ice cream for 70¢ and so on. 
  15. Spending a whole day sleeping and knowing that nobody is going to judge you.
  16. Pasar malam! Getting some really cheap stuffs in night market, or just walk around and enjoy.
  17. Keeping calm and walking slowly. Malaysians are not stressed people.
  18. Side road food stalls. I don't often buy food there because it's mostly fried and oily, but I like to see them.
  19. Explaining to people that I don't want to get married but I want eventually to have a boyfriend and make a family and looking at their reaction.
  20. Having nasi lemak (fat rice) for breakfast and actually enjoying it.
  21. The mamak stores with all their delicious roti!
  22. The amount of people wearing traditional clothes that we can see on a daily basis.  
  23. The numerous colourful festivals throughout the year.
  24. The summer from January to December.
  25. The countless Malay weddings where you just go eat and don't care about who actually got married.

  26. The skyline of Kuala Lumpur with the KL Tower and the Petronas twin towers, which can be seen from kilometres away. 
  27. The diversity among the population and even inside the different ethnic groups. 
  28. The heavy rain in late afternoon, slightly lowing down the way too high temperature.
  29. The Malay and Indonesian songs playing on radio while in the car.
  30. The cheap Air Asia flight tickets which makes travel so much easier.
  31. China town or Pasar Seni.
  32. Being late at the meeting point but still be the first person to reach. Malaysian time...
  33. The palm trees.
  34. Being told by dozen of people that I look like Taylor Swift, despite the fact that I DO NOT look like Taylor Swift. 
  35. Calling the waiters "boss" or "abang" and the waitresses "kakak".
  36. Being called mat salleh by the locals and calling the other white people mat salleh myself.
  37. Little India
  38. Adding kah, kan, kut or lah at the end of my sentences to create a specific effect.
  39. Listening to Malaysian broken English. Because Malaysians also can lah, that's why. You agree or not? 
  40. All the beautiful temples.
  41. The kampung or village houses, which look so beautiful in their poorness. 
  42. Singing Negaraku, the national anthem, every Monday morning at school assembly.  
  43. The lizards walking on house walls.
  44. Using public transport, especially the train, and knowing every line better than most of the local do.
     
  45. Hanging out with awesome friends around Bukit Bintang, or Star Hill, in KL.




    I'm gonna miss you, Malaysia!






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire